Thursday 30 June 2016

Messi quits Argentina following penalty miss in Cop America loss

.
Lionel Messi has decided to retire from International football following a dramatic penalty shoot-out loss to Chile in the Copa America final.
The 29 year-old blazed his spot-kick over the bar at the MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, USA as Chile went on to claim the trophy 4-2 on penalties.
After the  match, Messi was clearly disappointed with his own efforts.
“It’s tough, it’s not the time for analysis,” he said. “In the dressing room I thought that this is the end for me with the national team, it’s not for me. That’s the way I feel right now, it’s a huge sadness once again and I missed the penalty that was so important.
“I tried so hard to be [a] champion with Argentina. But it didn’t happen. I couldn’t do it. I think it’s best for everyone, for me and for many people who want it. The choice for me is over, it is a decision. I tried many times [to be a champion] but did not.”


No comments:

Post a Comment